Richard Stockton College Athletic Training

Intercollegiate Athletic Insurance- Secondary Coverage
Reminder:  This information on insurance coverage is a general guide only, it in no way
 replaces or supersedes the information provided in the coverage policy.

Name of Insurance Company: Bollinger Insurance
Address of Insurance Co:  PO Box 727, Short Hills NJ 07078-0857
Name of Policy Holder:  Richard Stockton College-- Athletic Injury Policy
Policy Number: C801
Primary Links
Comeback Athletes
Certified Staff
Insurance Info
Visiting Team Info
Student Staff
Former Staff
Published Articles
Our Links
Outside Links
Athletic Injuries

Secondary Links
Sports Nutrition Archive
Rehab in Action
Rehab Wall of Fame
The ACL Page
Concussion Page
Athletic Training Survey
Athletic Injury Update
Rehab Archives
  1. How is my son or daughter covered by the athletic insurance policy? 
  2. Who will file a claim with Bollinger? 
  3. Whose insurance will be the primary carrier? 
  4. What is covered by the athletic policy? 
  5. What does Bollinger require to process medical bills? 
  6. What if we have an HMO? 
  7. What if we have a PPO? 
  8. What if we have a "Traditional Plan"? 
  9. What is our responsibility in this process? 
  10. Where do we send bills and EOB's? 
  11. Who can we contact with questions or problems?

1.  How is my son or daughter covered by the athletic insurance policy?  
In order to be eligible for coverage each athlete must pass their athletic physical at Stockton College.  Once cleared medically to participate, every intercollegiate athlete is covered automatically. Back to questions. 

2.  Who will file a claim with Bollinger? 
All athletic injury claims must be filed through Athletic Training Services.  Therefore, injured athletes should report their injury to the Coordinator of Athletic Training (Jon Heck) and discuss their injury situation before seeing a physician.  Failure to do so may forfeit coverage for that injury.  Obviously this does not pertain to emergency or emergency room situations where immediate medical care is required.  Back to questions. 

3. Whose insurance will be the primary carrier? 
If your son/ daughter is covered by any type of personal insurance, that company will serve as the Primary Insurance Coverage.  This is not an option, your personal coverage will always serve on a primary basis.  The Bollinger Policy is an "Excess" or "Secondary" policy.  They will only consider bills that have been processed through your Primary Insurance Carrier first.  Back to questions. 

4. What is covered by the athletic policy?  
Generally, the policy covers athletic related injuries that occur during supervised and scheduled athletic practices and games.  All of the following will be considered by Bollinger with the proper paper work (this is not a complete list, however): 
1. Deductables 
2. Co-Pays 
3. Prescriptions 
4. Hospital Bills 
5. MRI/ Diagnostic Testing Bills 
6. Emergency Room Bills 
7. Physician Bills 
8. Knee Braces 
***You should obtain a receipt & itemized bill for any bills you pay directly yourself.  Back to questions. 

5. What does Bollinger require to process medical bills?  
1. A injury claim must already be filed (see # 2). 

2. An Itemized Bill from each service provider. An Itemized Bill details the charges for each item that makes up the total bill. A bill that only shows a "total charge" is not acceptable to process a claim. 

3. Explanation of Benefits (EOB) from your primary insurance carrier for each medical bill.  An EOB explains what your insurance carrier covered or denied from each medical bill.  Your primary insurance carrier will normally mail you an EOB after they have considered any medical bills.  A claim must be filed before you will recieve an EOB from your primary insurance company. 
****Unless Bollinger has all three of these items, a bill will not be considered.  Back to questions. 

6. What if we have an HMO?  
An HMO requires a referral from your primary care physician before any medical care is received (other than emergencies).  If these procedures are not followed your HMO will deny all medical bills.  If your HMO denies your bills for this reason, Bollinger will also deny these bills.  It is imperative to follow the procedures established by your HMO. 

HMO's are the most restrictive type of medical insurance.  You are limited to physicians and medical care that is within the HMO's network.  They also usually lengthen the time it takes for an athlete to initially see an orthopedist because a referral must be obtained before the athlete is seen for an injury.  And it's also possible the primary care physican will want to see the athlete first, before a  referral is made. Back to questions. 

7. What if we have a PPO?  
There are several types of PPO's, but all of them provide more liberal coverage than HMO's.  Some PPO's do not require a referral as long as the physician who is seen is in their network of providers.  For full benefits some PPO's require a referral from your primary care physician.  But all PPO's we have come in contact with, provide coverage for "out of network" services.  This means if a referral is not obtained or a network physician is not used they still provide partial coverage (usually reduced benefits, with a deductable).  As long as the PPO provides partial coverage then Bollinger will consider most unpaid balances, when the proper paperwork is received.   Back to questions. 

8.  What if we have a "Traditional Plan"?  
The "Traditional Plan" with an insurance company provides the best of all possible worlds.  Referrals are not required and coverage is open to any physican, hospital, or medical facility.  These plans normally have a deductable and Bollinger will consider all unpaid balances, when the proper paper work is received. Back to questions. 

9.  What is our responsibility in this process?  
1. For emergency rooms visits, make sure your insurance company is contacted, if they require this for coverage. 

2. Make sure a claim has been filed with your primary insurance company for each medical service provider (many times hospitals do not do this for you, especially with emergency room visits). 

3. Obtain all of the required itemized bills, receipts, and EOB's required by Bollinger. 

***We suggest you make a folder and keep any and all of the information you receive regarding the athletic injury here for future reference. Back to questions. 

10.  Where do we send bills and EOB's?  
Once you obtain itemized bills, receipts, or EOB's, copies should be sent to the following address: 

Richard Stockton College 
Jon Heck- Athletic Training 
PO Box 195 
Pomona NJ 08240-0195 

We will then forward the paperwork on to Bollinger with the identifiers they require for claim processing.  We will also keep a copy of all paperwork in the athletes file for future reference.  Back to questions. 

11. Who can we contact with questions or problems? 

From Stockton: 
Jon Heck 
Coordinator of Athletic Training 

From Bollinger 

  Secondary Claims Contact   
Robyn T. 
1800-526-1379 ext.8031
Claims Supervisor 
Don Jenkins 
ext. 8007
Senior Vice President 
Joe Mignon 
(pronounced, "Minyon") 
ext. 8055

 Back to questions.
Questions or comments regarding the Athletic Training Pages should be directed to 
Jon Heck at: