Choosing Majors and Careers
You can jump start the major and career decision-making process by following these steps:
Step 1: Self Awareness
Step 2: Gather Career Information
Step 3: Discuss Your Options
Step 4: Test Drive Your Careers
Use our online self-assessment tool built into Stockton Works.
- Login to Stockton Works, and click "Career Path" on the left hand side.
- Complete the O*NET Interest Profiler
- Write down your results! (We don't have access to your assessment, so you must write down your scores if you want us to review them with you.)
- Make an appointment with your career advisor to discuss your results.
What can I do with a major in...? Check out this site to explore what careers relate to particular majors. "What Can I Do With This Major?".
What do people do in this job/field? Research career fields and positions using the Occupational Outlook Handbook or O*Net.
Salary Sites: Explore and calculate salaries by occupation and geographic area at America's Career Infonet or at NACE's Salary Calculator Center.
Researching Employers: Click here to explore resources for exploring companies/organizations.
Talk with Professionals: Talk to professionals in your field, Stockton alumni, faculty, preceptors and current students to get the inside scoop. Learn how to conduct an informational interview or contact an alumni mentor.
Meet with a Career Advisor: Our counselors are ready to meet with you to assist with self assessment, exploring career possibilities, researching careers or anything else related to your career development. Visit our Appointment Scheduling Page to set up an appointment.
Meet with an Academic Advisor: Meet with an advisor in the Center for Academic Advising, located in the Campus Center, Suite 242, to help match your career interests with the academic program that is right for you. Also, check out their "Choosing a Major" link.
- Job Shadowing - consider using Stockton's Alumni Career Network
- Volunteering resources: Stockton Center for Community Engagement
- Related part-time job - check out opportunities on StocktonWorks.
- Study Abroad
- Join a Club/Org
- Take exploratory courses
Make an appointment with a career advisor in the Career Center to strategize how to best test drive and gain experience in your fields of interest.