Step Up Stockton!
Have you ever been concerned about a situation and wanted to help... but didn't know how?
You're not alone.
This situation is more common than you might think, and is known as the bystander effect. Step UP! is a comprehensive bystander intervention program that will teach you:
- The 5 Decision Making Steps
- Other Factors that Affect Helping, including Perspective Taking
- Strategies for Effective Helping
- The S.E.E. Model: Safe; Early; Effective
- Warning Signs, Action Steps and Resources
Become Certified in Bystander Intervention.
- Quality individual training
- A key asset in building a great resume
- Learn valuable tools for presenting
- Receieve great skills and tools on Intervening
What are we:
Step UP! is a prosocial behavior and bystander intervention program that educates students to be proactive in helping others. Teaching people about the determinants of prosocial behavior makes them more aware of why they sometimes don’t help. As a result they are more likely to help in the future.
The goals of Step UP! Are to:
- Raise awareness of helping behaviors
- Increase motivation to help
- Develop skills and confidence when responding to problems or concerns
- Ensure the safety and well-being of self and others
What to do:
The 5 Decision Making Steps:
- Notice the event
- Interpret the event as a problem — investigate!
- Assume personal responsibility
- Know how to help
- Implement the help: Step UP!
For questions about the program and to learn how you can get involved in Step UP!, email StepUP@stockton.edu
Check us out on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/StepUpStockton
Workshops & Training
There will undoubtedly come a time when you are faced with a situation in which you can help - a friend, a peer or a teammate/group member. Learn how to Step UP! and intervene.
Workshops will be offered on the following days from 4:30PM to 6:00PM in the Campus Center, Meeting Room 5
Fall 2016 Semester
- Thursday, September 15, 2016
- Monday, October 3, 2016
- Thursday, October 27, 2016
- Monday, November 7, 2016
- Thursday, December 1, 2016
Spring 2017 Semester
- Thursday, February 2, 2017
- Monday, March 6, 2017
- Wednesday, April5, 2017
- Thursday, May 4, 2017
Adapted from: Step UP! The University of Arizona C.A.T.S. Life Skills Program