The Ambassador William J. Hughes Collection
Ambassador Hughes donated his personal archive which chronicles his years of public service in the House of Representatives and as the United States Ambassador to Panama. The archive includes correspondence, photos, diaries, Congressional Record citations, press releases, newsletters and press clippings, all of which will be made available in the Stockton Library for use by researchers.
On display at the Hughes Center in L-wing are bill signing letters and pens from Presidents Reagan and Clinton, photos of then Congressman Hughes with various presidents, resolutions, plaques, photos and other items documenting the Ambassador’s distinguished years of public service.
William J. Hughes served in the United States House of Representatives from 1975 to 1995, representing the 2nd Congressional District of New Jersey.
Throughout his career, Mr. Hughes sponsored numerous projects and initiatives to create jobs, protect the environment and improve the quality of life in southern New Jersey. Serving for two decades and under five presidents, he was a prominent leader as Chairman of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, House Aging Subcommittee on Retirement Income and Employment, and later the Judiciary Subcommittee on Intellectual Property and Judicial Administration.
Mr. Hughes was appointed United States Ambassador to Panama by former President Bill Clinton in 1995. During this period, one of his greatest contributions to insure democracy was his direct involvement in the return of the Panama Canal to Panamanian control.
On display at the Hughes Center are:
- Presidential Letters and Signing Pens
- Washington DC Office
- Framed Documents
- Awards and Plaques
- Display Cabinet
Currently in the Richard E. Bjork Library At Stockton University:
- (Catalog Description Link)
- Scrapbooks – 1950’s through 1994 – 35 books
- Scrapbook items, (clippings, etc.) in large envelopes – 1975-1990 – 16 envelopes
- Clippings from 1980’s, scrapbook pages from 1990’s – 1 box
- Notebook with political mailers – 1975-1994 – 1 book
- Speeches & Statements – 1975-1994 – 19 books
- Press Releases – 1975-1994 – 21 books
- Appointment/Planning Calendars – 1975-1994 – 25 books
- Photo album with 36 photos – 1970’s – 1 album
- Record votes, 94th congress, 1st & 2nd session – 1975-1976 – 2 books
For more information, contact Louise Tillstrom (Archives, Government Documents & Special Collections) at 609-652-4532, or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of the congressional papers of William J. Hughes are housed at Rutgers University. For more detail, see catalog description, or contact:
Special Collections and University Archives
Rutgers University Libraries
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
169 College Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1163