The oceanography research programs at Stockton focus on circulation of estuaries and nearshore coastal areas and applications to coastal ecosystems. This program takes full advantage of oceanographic instrumentation available at Stockton, including multibeam sonars, CTD, Acoustic Doppler Current Profilers for bottom mounted and shipboard operations, tilt current meters and satellite-tracked drifters. Recent and ongoing projects involving students:
- Quantifying net flow through inlets before and after dredging
- Relationship of wind, tides, pressure and current velocity in Little Egg Inlet
- Measuring bottom currents near Mullica River oyster reefs
- Examining trends in water temperature and juvenile fish
- Mapping bathymetry of Little Egg Inlet (in collaboration with USGS)
For more information or to collaborate in our region on a related project requiring oceanographic or vessel support contact Dr. Anna Pfeiffer-Herbert.
<<< Back to Main Research Page