Transfer Honors Admissions
If you have been accepted to Stockton as a sophomore or junior transfer student for the upcoming spring or fall semester, you may choose to apply to the Honors Program. Students may be invited to apply to the Honors Program based on their record of academic success in their previous college. They also can apply on their own. Either way, spending some time looking at the Honors website will make the process easier.
Please note that you may only apply to the Honors Program as an incoming student. You will not be eligible to apply to the Honors Program once you have matriculated and begun taking classes.
Honors Transfer Students Have Leadership Roles in...
|The Honors Executive Board||Student Success Scholars Program mentoring||Health Sciences|
|Stockton Athletics||Circle K||Biochemistry|
|Water Watch||Golden Key International Honor Society||Social Work|
|Field of Dreams||S.A.V.E||Communications|
...and many more academic programs, service projects, clubs, and activities.
- Academic Achievement: The Admissions Committee is looking for applicants who have achieved at least a 3.3 GPA in their previous institution. We also look for other forms of academic achievement, such as New Jersey Stars and membership in Phi Theta Kappa.
- Commitment to Community Service and Civic Engagement: Since Honors students are required to take Experiential Learning or Service Learning courses, we want to make sure that applicants really want to make experiential/service learning a part of their academic experience. If you've participated in a service project that really excited you, be sure to tell us why.
- Commitment to Stockton Honors: We know applicants have a lot to do, including filling out a huge stack of forms. But we still want you to take the time to think about what we've asked and answer our questions to the best of your ability. The more you learn about us, the better you'll be at telling us why Stockton Honors is important to you.
Please note that the Admissions Committee does not ordinarily accept applications from students who enter Stockton with more than 70 credits.
Honors courses count towards transfer students' General Studies requirement.
Class-based courses (4 credits each):
- All Honors transfer students are required to take an Honors transfer seminar.
- Students who transfer as sophomores (32-63 credits) are required to take a total of four Honors courses. Four credits of Experiential Learning can be used to count as an Honors course.
- Students who transfer as juniors (64 credits) are required to take a total of three Honors courses. Four credits of Experiential Learning can be used to count as an Honors course.
Before You Apply to Stockton Honors
In order to apply to the Honors Program, you must have submitted your completed application to Stockton University. You can find the main Admissions page here. There is no additional fee to apply to the Honors Program.
We also recommend that you attend an Open House event. You can also make an appointment to speak to the Honors Director and meet with current Honors students. Check our Welcome page for more detailed contact information.
The Honors Program works closely with the Office of Residential Life to place accepted Honors transfer students into the Honors Living Learning Community. However, demand sometimes exceeds the available space. We strongly recommend that all students interested in Stockton housing for the fall semester apply for housing and send in their Housing Acceptance deposit to the Office of Residential Life as soon as they have made a commitment to attend Stockton. All Honors students, regardless of their housing preferences or placement, are full-fledged members of the Honors Program and are eligible to participate in all events and activities.
The main purpose of the Honors application is for us to get to know you better. Before filling it out, think about what you're passionate about, what makes you shine, what qualities you have that are truly outstanding. And before submitting it, be sure to proofread it and save a copy of the completed version for your files. You must complete the online application in one sitting. You cannot save it and come back to it later. To avoid mishaps that can occur when completing online forms, we encourage you to view the online application, compose your responses in a separate word processing program, and then save them. You can copy and paste your saved responses into the form fields in the online application.
The application will ask you to submit the contact information for one reference, who we may contact to learn more about you. You might choose a professor who has seen you in more than one setting, such as a club or lab as well as a class. Another possibility might be a mentor with whom you've worked closely on a project that's important to you both. A coach, supervisor at work, or group leader who has had the opportunity to watch you mature over time would also be appropriate references.
Transfer Application Deadlines
For students who enter Stockton in the Fall Semester, we review applications at the end of each month, starting in February. Seats in the program are limited. We will stop accepting new applications when all seats in our Honors Transfer seminar are filled. Early applications have a better chance of acceptance.
Because there tend to be fewer applications, The Honors Program has rolling admissions for students entering Stockton in the Spring Semester.
Love Honors? Apply EARLY
Admission to the Honors Program is very competitive, and seats in our Honors Transfer seminar are limited. We strongly urge you to apply as early in the admissions cycle as possible.
Accepted students will be invited to complete a Commitment Form and a Housing Preference Form. No deposit is required, but we can only reserve a place in the Honors Program once we have received the completed Commitment and Housing Preference Forms.