Final Clinical Practice Semester
What To Expect
Student Teaching is a prospective teacher’s internship, i.e. a full-term experience observing, planning, and teaching in an elementary, middle, or high school setting. It is partnered with EdTPA Capstone; a performance-based assessment taken during student teaching.
- IMPORTANT - For SPRING 2018 Placements - All Student Teaching Applications, supporting materials, and Praxis II scores are due by October 1. Any request made after October 1 cannot be guaranteed
- TBA - Deadline to apply for graduation
- December 15 - Fall term ends
- TBA - License Intake
Preceptorial Advising - Sign up to meet with your Education Advisor
- Fall Semester: Late October/Early November
- Spring Semester: Late March/Early April
edTPA is a subject-specific portfolio-based assessment completed during the clinical component of a teacher preparation program (e.g., student teaching) and measures a teaching candidate’s ability to plan and deliver a lesson, evaluate student learning, and reflect on his or her practice.
Aspiring teachers must prepare a portfolio of materials during their student teaching clinical experience. edTPA requires aspiring teachers to demonstrate readiness to teach through lesson plans designed to support their students' strengths and needs; engage real students in ambitious learning; analyze whether their students are learning, and adjust their instruction to become more effective. Teacher candidates submit unedited video recordings of themselves at work in a real classroom as part of a portfolio that is scored by highly trained educators. edTPA builds on decades of teacher performance assessment development and research regarding teaching skills and practices that improve student learning.
The edTPA includes the following three main parts:
- Task 1: Planning for Instruction and Assessment
- Task 2: Instructing and Engaging Students in Learning
- Task 3: Assessing Student Learning
- Preceptor Contact
- Student Teaching Handbook
- Teacher Education Handbook
- Student Teacher Evaluation & Expectations Presentation- Reference copy of the presentation presented by the Program Coordinator at the August 2017 student teacher meeting
- Taskstream Instructional Video - This two-part video will walk you through how Taskstream is used during student teaching. All student teachers are expected to review it and be familiar with the process. Details include how to prepare for observations by the university supervisor and mentor teacher.
- License Intake
- Teacher Certificates - As of May 15, 2015 paper certificates will no longer be issued. All information about certificates is now online including certificate name, certificate ID number, date of issuance, and expiration date if applicable. Instructions to view this information can be found at NJDOE.