Federal Work Study Program

Federal Work Study Program

The Federal Work Study (FWS) program is a need-based, federally funded work program administered by the Office of Financial Aid. The program allows students to work part-time on or off campus to help offset their educational expenses. If you are awarded FWS, it will be included in your financial aid package. The funds will not be directly credited to your account, instead you will be paid biweekly. If you were awarded FWS, browse the list of employers below. Once you have been hired, fill out the forms below and submit them to the Office of Financial Aid in CC-201.

Note: After they are completed, please submit all required forms to the Office of Financial Aid in CC-201. 

Federal Work Study Employment Form

I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification

*This link will take you to the Human Resources web page to complete the electronic version of the I-9 form. Please return a printed copy of the I-9 form to the Office of Financial Aid, along with the rest of the Employment Forms.

W-4, Employee Withholding Allowance Form

Federal Work Study Job Transfer Form

Direct Deposit Enrollment Form

Having trouble viewing the forms? You may need the free Adobe Reader software.

You must apply every year for FWS by completing the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the web at fafsa.gov and selecting the option that you are interested in the FWS program. FWS is a need-based program that is awarded to students with financial need. Funds are awarded on a first come first servce basis. Eligibility for funds is determined by the Office of Financial Aid. 

There are a vast number of jobs on-campus and off-campus. Once you have accepted your FWS award, you will need to contact the department/employer in which you are interested in applying to set up an interview. Once you have been hired, you will need to print out the Federal Work Study Employment Form and for first time employees the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form, the W-4 Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate  and the Direct Deposit Enrollment Form. The Federal Work Study Employment Form and I-9 form need to be completed and signed by both you and your employer. All forms must then be returned to the Office of Financial Aid in CC-201 before you may begin working.

Either you or your supervisor will need to input your hours worked into Web Time Entry (WTE) every two weeks. You will be paid biweekly via direct deposit. If there are any discrepancies with your pay amount, you should bring it to your supervisor's attention immediately so that the discrepancy can be resolved as soon as possible.

Both the student and employer share the responsibility of monitoring FWS earnings to ensure that the award limit is not exceeded. You may earn up to half of your award during the fall semester and the remaining award during the spring semester. If you earn the fall portion prior to when the semester ends, you may not work again until the first day of classes for the spring semester. However, you may consult with your supervisor to work in a student assistant position provided the department has the funds available. This may be done for both the fall and spring semesters.

A student job is an employment opportunity, which gives you, experience in the work place and your supervisor is a potential reference when you seek employment after leaving Stockton. Therefore, it is your responsibility to:

  • Report to work on time and with regularity, calling in personally if you will be tardy or absent;
  • Perform your job satisfactorily, maintaining the same standards of conduct as any regular, full-time employee;
  • Assume the responsibilities attached to the position for the entire FWS period, but if circumstances necessitate a job change, notify the Office of Financial Aid and complete a transfer form (located at the top of this page). You should give your supervisor at least two weeks notice;
  • Complete your Web Time Entry (WTE) on a regular basis as directed by your supervisor;
  • Act in a professional manner concerning the confidentiality of information, which comes to you through your assignment.

Most employers prefer to hire students who have blocks of time available. Some jobs require specific shifts or work schedules while others allow more flexibility. The average student works 8 to 12 hours per week, not to exceed 25 hours per week while school is in session and 40 hours during semester breaks. 

You are also responsible for maintaining your schoolwork and not letting your job interfere with academics. However, recent studies show that academics are enhanced by students who have committed themselves to a part-time job because they acquire excellent time management and organizational skills.

As a FWS student, you have certain rights as follows:

  • You have the right to choose your position in the department of your choice if several offers of employment are presented;
  • You have the right to know the specified period of employment and the hourly salary rate prior to being hired;
  • You have the right to see a written job description before accepting any position;
  • You have the right to information concerning any hazardous substances and potential exposure in that workplace;
  • You have the right to expect fair and equal treatment from your supervisors;
  • You have the right to review and sign the Student Employment Evaluation Report.

Your supervisor is the key person in all communications that involve your work. You should bring any problems or concerns to his/her immediate attention. If the two of you cannot resolve the problem you should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your concerns.