Standards of Practice

This resource is designed to provide the necessary information for a student organization to operate efficiently at Stockton and answer most of your questions about running an organization, event planning, funding, travel procedures, the role of an advisor and other important information.  Every effort has been made to provide the most current information. The information contained herein apply to all students. Changes to local, state or federal regulations may require Stockton University policy changes that are not included herein. Stockton University reserves the right to make revisions at any time without prior notice. 

The Office of Student Development (Campus Center Suite 240) is another resource for you and your organization. In addition to Student Development advisors, we have trained student workers in both the Front Desk and Resource Room (212Q) available to assist your organization with your programs and initiatives. The Student Development team looks forward to working with you and having a successful and fun year. 

Student Organization Recognition & Registration

A complete listing of all Recognized Student Organizations (RSO) at Stockton can be found on the OspreyHub.  Stockton University will regulate any organization using the name of Stockton University or claiming an association with Stockton University.  Recognition comes with organizational rights and responsibilities but does not imply University endorsement of the purposes of an organization.    

Students who wish to form an official club, organization, or association must seek recognition through the Office of Student Development. RSOs have rights and responsibilities while operating that are included in this guide and the Stockton University Handbook. Official recognition may be removed from any group for not fulfilling the rights and responsibilities as defined by the University.  

All members of the Stockton RSOs including all leadership positions must be identified on the official roster and be held by currently enrolled Stockton University Students, unless otherwise permitted by the Office of Student Development. A Faculty or Staff advisor is also required to be identified on the roster.

Although interaction with off campus advisors, alumni, faculty, staff and members of the local community is encouraged, it should be emphasized that organizations at Stockton must be composed of Stockton University students. We also encourage all student organizations to be led by the democratic authority of the current enrolled students involved in the organization.  Any organization that selects it leadership from or gives voting authority to non-students will not be eligible for funding (this includes selection, removal or nomination of officers by non-students).   Although we may work with outside organizations to help our student groups, we rely on our students to lead the registered student organizations.

Currently the recognition categories and process for new groups is being reviewed by the office of Student Development.  All current and new organizations will be categorized based on the following set of guidelines.   Any current organization who wished to be reclassified should meet with the Director of Student Development to discuss their options.

Current Organization types:

  • Funded Organization – Clubs and organizations that are open to all students, and all student members in good standing may participate in the democratic authority of the organization, including receiving voting rights, selecting and running for organizational leadership. 
  • Non-funded Organization – Clubs and organizations that are selective in choosing its membership or leadership.  The selective categories may include categories such as ‘by major’ ‘by GPA’ but not include any category of protected class as described in the Federal, State or University Nondiscrimination statements, policies or laws.  (Examples include Honor Societies who restrict membership or leadership by academic major or chapters of national organziations that have leadership selection processes involving non-students)
  • Council – an organizing body of RSO’s – who’s membership is typically defined as ‘Representatives selected by the member RSOs'.
  • Fraternity or Sorority Chapters – Selective organizations who are organized as chapters of national social or cultural organizations, recognized by our Fraternity and Sorority procedures.  These groups have a Title IX exception and are able to be single gender organizations.

The following information will be required for registration via OspreyHub*:

  • A current membership roster on OspreyHub, including at least 10 student members
  • A faculty/staff advisor, who is a full time professional employee of the University
  • An updated constitution (if applicable)
  • An updated inventory of equipment (if applicable)
  • Weekly Office Hours (if organization is assigned an office) 

*Fraternity and Sorority Chapters must meet standards included in Fraternity and Sorority Life Handbook

It is the officers' responsibility to keep the information current at all times in OspreyHub. (i.e. change in leadership, constitutional amendments, or the addition of new members). Only those current students listed on the current membership list will be entitled to the benefits of the organization.

Any organization that does not complete the registration requirements by the deadline provided by the Office of Student Development may lose privileges. Non-compliance for two consecutive semesters will result in loss of recognition.  The Director of Student Development will then notify the Assistant Vice President for Engagement and Community Development, the organization's advisor(s), and organization president about the loss of the recognition.  

The Office of Student Development will be responsible for groups seeking recognition as a Stockton University organization. These groups must meet with the Director of Student Development to review the policies and procedures that need to be followed to establish a new group on campus. After meeting with the director, the organization representative should proceed with the following steps*:

  • Submit a copy of the constitution, an updated membership roster with at least 10 eligible student members, a faculy/staff advisor and a completed new organization questionnaire. The membership roster should also identify the individuals serving on the executive board (such as President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer).
  • Provide opportunities for membership without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, nationality, ancestry, age, sex/gender (including pregnancy), marital status, civil union status, domestic partnership status, familial status, religion, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical hereditary cellular or blood trait, genetic information, liability for service in the Armed Forces of the United States, or disability 
  • Secure a full time faculty/staff advisor (outside of the Office of Student Development) for the organization.  
  • Adhere to Stockton University regulations, as well as state and federal statutes. 
  • Upon approval, a new (or reactivated) RSO has all rights and priveleges except the ability to request use of student activity fees. At the end of the two semesters, barring any problems, the Office of Student Development will notify the Student Senate that the organization is eligible for funding.

*Students wishing to seek recognition as a Fraternity or Sorority Chapter must meet standards included in Fraternity and Sorority Life Handbook

Each organization must have procedures that clearly define its methods of conducting business. A constitution and bylaws are an effective means of establishing those procedures. The constitution states the principles creating the organization. The bylaws contain a more detailed explanation of how the organization is governed. A model constitution is available on the Student Development website along with guidelines for required inclusion. 

The model constitution is available here (

Involvement and leadership in student organizations can be a rich and rewarding experience that aids in personal development.  While these experiences add to students’ overall education, academics must always remain first priority.  If a student's academic requirements are incongruent with requirements for student leadership, the membership or position in conflict should be resigned.  It is required that officers of student organizations maintain a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.5 and be in good academic and judicial standing. Organization advisors will be encouraged to help student organization officers in developing strategies should their cumulative GPA drop below a 2.5 during his or her term of service.  Any student who has less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA or is barred from participation due to judicial action by the university will be considered not eligible for RSO participation. 

The Stockton University Student Handbook policy on “Hazing” states:

Stockton University recognizes that campus involvement is an integral part of the college experience that contributes to the academic and social experience of students. Stockton strictly prohibits hazing of any kind by any student organization or team. Students are held accountable for both violations of local, state, and federal law and University policies as it relates to hazing.

New Jersey Statutes

  1.  A person is guilty of hazing, a disorderly person offense, or a crime of the fourth degree if the act of hazing results in bodily injury, if, in connection with initiation of applicants to or members of a student or fraternal organization, whose membership is primarily students or alumni of the organization or an institution of higher education, the person knowingly or recklessly causes, coerces, or forces another person to do any of the following:
    1. violate federal or state criminal law;
    2. consume any food, liquid, alcoholic liquid, drug or other substance which subjects the other person to a risk of emotional or physical harm;
    3. endure brutality of a physical nature, including whipping, beating, branding, calisthenics, or exposure to the elements;
    4. endure brutality of a mental nature, including activity adversely affecting the mental health or dignity of the individual, sleep deprivation, exclusion from social contact, or conduct that could result in extreme embarrassment;
    5. endure brutality of a sexual nature; or
    6. endure any other activity that creates a reasonable likelihood of bodily injury to the person.

Hazing shall not include any reasonable and customary athletic, law enforcement, or military training, contests, competitions, or events.

  1. A person is guilty of aggravated hazing, a crime of the third degree, if the person commits an act prohibited in subsection a. of this section which results in serious bodily injury to another person.
  2. A student or fraternal organization, or an institution of higher education, that knowingly or recklessly promotes or facilitates a person to commit an act of hazing or aggravated hazing prohibited in this section is subject to a fine of not more than $5,000 for each violation of subsection a. of this section, and a fine of not more than $15,000 for each violation of subsection b. of this section.
  3. Any property which has been, or is intended to be, utilized in furtherance of any unlawful hazing activity set forth in this section by a person, student or fraternal organization, or institution of higher education, as well as any proceeds derived from the unlawful activity, shall be subject to forfeiture pursuant to chapter 64 of Title 8 2C of the New Jersey Statutes.
    1. A person, student or fraternal organization, or institution of higher education, and another person acting in concert with the person, organization, or institution, shall be immune from prosecution under this section if the person, or employee, officer, or other agent for the organization or institution:
      1. called 9-1-1, or otherwise contacted campus security, police, or emergency services, and reported that a person was in need of medical assistance due to an act of hazing as described in this section;
      2. the caller provided the caller’s name and, if applicable, the name of the person acting in concert with the caller to the 9-1-1 operator or other recipient of the emergency contact;
      3. the caller was the first to make the 9-1-1 report or other emergency report; and
      4. the caller and, if applicable, the person acting in concert with the caller remained on the scene with the person in need of medical assistance until assistance arrived and cooperated with the emergency services on the scene.
    1. The person who received medical assistance as a result of the call placed pursuant to paragraph (1) of this subsection shall also be immune from prosecution under this section.
    1. In addition to any other applicable immunity or limitation on civil liability, a law enforcement officer or other official empowered to act as an officer for the arrest of offenders against the laws of this State, or a prosecutor, who, acting in good faith, arrested or charged a person who is thereafter determined to be entitled to immunity from prosecution under this subsection, shall not be subject to any civil liability for the wrongful arrest or charge.


2C: 40-4

Notwithstanding any other provision of Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes to the contrary, consent, or the fact that the act of hazing as described in section 1 of P.L.1980, c.169 (C.2C:40-3) was sanctioned or approved by a student or fraternal organization or an institution of higher education, shall not be available as a defense to a prosecution under this Act.


2C: 40-5

Conduct constituting an offense under this act may, at the discretion of the prosecuting attorney, be prosecuted under any other applicable provision of Title 2C of the New Jersey State Statutes; and other behaviors or activities in addition to those prohibited under N.J.S.A. 2C:40 et seq. defined as hazing by a college or university with respect to its students.


University Regulations

Additionally, Stockton University defines hazing as “any action taken, created, or situated which intentionally, negligently, or recklessly subjects any person to the risk of bodily harm or mental or physical harassment, intimidation, or bullying; interferes with academic activities; or causing or encouraging any person to commit an act that would be a violation of law or University policy; for the purpose of initiating, promoting, fostering, or confirming any form of affiliation with a recognized or unrecognized student group or organization.”

The expressed or implied consent of a person is not a defense to any hazing activity.

Examples of hazing include, but are not limited to:

  • forced consumption of alcohol or other drugs;
  • required ingestion of any substance;
  • acts that could result in excessive fatigue, exhaustion, physical, mental or emotional deprivation or harm;
  • paddling, whipping, beating, or physical abuse of any kind;
  • compulsory servitude;
  • work projects without the participation of the full membership;
  • scavenger hunts, treasure hunts, road trips, kidnapping, drop-offs, or any other such activities;
  • assigned or endorsed pranks such as borrowing or stealing items;
  • morally degrading or humiliating games or activities;
  • any activity which materially obstructs or impairs a student’s rights, academic pursuits, employment, or participation in the University community;
  • activities that promote or encourage the violation of state law or University policy;

The organization/team or any individual involved in hazing commits a violation of University policy by:

  1. Engaging in hazing;
  2. Soliciting, encouraging, aiding, or directing another engaged in hazing;
  3. Intentionally or knowingly permitting hazing to occur;
  4. Having first-hand knowledge that a specific hazing incident has occurred and failing to report said knowledge in writing to University officials.

Penalties for violations of the policy may include:

  1. imposition of fines;
  2. the withholding of diplomas or transcripts pending compliance with the rules or payment of fines;
  3. the rescission of permission for the organization to operate on campus or to otherwise operate under the sanction or recognition of the institution; and
  4. the imposition of probation, suspension, dismissal, or expulsion.

An organization’s status as an active RSO by Stockton University will be reviewed on an annual basis. Decisions as to the continuance or de-recognition of an organization will be based upon the following criteria:

  • Has the orgnanization met all registration requirements by the established deadline(s)?
  • Has the organization complied with all policies, procedures, and Standards of Practice, including financial procedures and event planning guidelines?
  • Have funds been expended according to the budget approved by the Senate and Assistant VP for Engagement and Community Development?
  • Does the organization maintain a list of all equipment purchased by the organization? Is all equipment accounted for? 
  • Does the organization meet on a regular basis?
  • Is the organization “active” in the sense that evidence of its existence is available to Stockton University community (i.e. replies to official communication; participates in Get Involved Fair and other campus events)
  • Does the organization provide programs that reflect its purpose?

RSO’s that do not maintain “active” status must present themselves to the Office of Student Development for re-activation.  Groups that are not active for two consecutive semesters will have their recognition removed, and must follow all steps for “Establishing a New Organization” 

Students are expected to know and abide by the regulations governing recognized student groups.  Students who join, accept membership or affiliate in any way with a student group whose recognition has been withdrawn are thereby in violation of Stockton University regulations and are subjected to judicial referral to the Campus Hearing Board, which may result in disciplinary action.  Students who assist in perpetuating these organizations are subject to the same disciplinary action.

Available office space is provided to recognized student organizations in good standing that have completed all registration requirements, attended all required meetings and training programs, and completed all necessary paperwork. It should be understood that the number of offices is limited and not all qualified student organizations will receive one. For qualified organizations not receiving office space, a storage locker will be assigned (based on availability). 

Student Senate, Stockton Entertainment Team, and Greek Council will be assigned permanent offices given the goals of these organizations and their oversight of student life. If these organizations cease operations, the office will be reassigned to another organization. 

Priority of office assignments will be based on:

  • History of activity and involvement through programs, workshops, University wide events and meetings.
  • Number of active and involved members. 
  • Positive contributions to Stockton University and outside communities.

Should office space requests outnumber the number of available offices, a review of all qualified organizations will determine which organization is allocated space. Once all available space is allocated, student organizations will be placed on a waitlist for future review.

Student Organization Office Use
Student organizations with allocated office space must adhere to the following. Failure to adhere to these and all Stockton University policies may result in a loss of office space. 

  • The space may only be used to conduct business related to the mission and purpose of the organization.
  • Each organization must have a minimum of 10 office hours per week.  These times must be posted at all times and held when the Office of Student Development is open.
  • The space is allocated for a one year period and must be renewed annually by the established deadline.  The Office of Student Development will conduct an assessment of club activities and involvement as part of this renewal process.  
  • Windows must be free of any postings or any other objects. Windows must be closed when the office is not in use, or in the evening prior to closing.
  • Excessive music or noise is prohibited.
  • Postings must be limited to the door bulletin board.  Wall hangings using anything other than painter’s tape are prohibited.
  • Offices must be kept neat.
  • Offices must be secured when not in use.
  • Each office is equipped with a local call restricted telephone. Any abuse or unauthorized use will result in the loss of the telephone.
  • Each office is equipped with furniture that must remain in the student organization office. Relocating and/or borrowing furniture from other offices or lounge space is prohibited.
  • Students and organizations utilizing an office must follow all Stockton University and State policies in accordance with the Stockton Student Handbook.
  • Recommendations for continued office usage will be reviewed at the conclusion of each semester.

Lockers are leased for a one year period. Student organizations who were assigned an office will not be assigned a locker (unless approval is received by the Director of Student Development).

The use of lockers are made available to RSO's in good standing. 

  • Priority is given to those organizations with at least 15 or more members (a waitlist will be formed once all lockers have been assigned)
  • Keys for lockers will be kept with Student Development and will only be accessible during Student Development office hours. 
  • The fee for a lost locker key/combination lock is $75.00.  Student club or responsible student will be billed this amount should the key/lock not be available for club to access locker or returned by May 1st.
  • Lockers will be inspected twice during the year (both Fall and Spring).  Student organizations are responsible keeping the lockers clean and maintaining them.
  • All lockers must be clear of any magnets, stickers, postings or flyers.


The following student organizations, are eligible to apply to the Student Senate for funds from the Stockton University activity fee:

  • Recognized student organizations who are categorized as Funded Organizations and have been active for at least two semesters.
    • Groups who are in the process of completing their second semester will not be eligible to request an annual budget for the following semester but will be eligible for budget and supplemental funding in their third semester.
  • Councils whose members typically do not receive annual budgets
  • Student Senate and the Student Senate committees.

All funded organizations that would like to request an annual budget to achieve their stated objectives must submit an Annual Budget Request through OspreyHub. All budgets should be prepared for the entire academic year, and will be reviewed by the Student Senate during the spring semester. The Office of Student Development can assist organizations in preparing appropriate budget requests. The Student Senate will review the proposed budget and make recommendations to the Assistant Vice President for Engagement and Community Development.

Annual Budget Requests will be evaluated with the following interests in mind:

  • Organizations that have provided activities and services in the past that meet the needs of the Stockton University community will receive primary consideration. Those that have established a good “track record” by conscientiously following through on their proposals will have an advantage in the competition for funds.
  • Organizations that have used their budgets to benefit a large portion of the student body, and limited expenditures for member only benefits.
  • Organizations that have demonstrated effective leadership will also receive special consideration.
  • Operating funds should be included in the budgets including travel to conferences and trips that are vital to the function of the organization.

Organizations can supplement Stockton University -appropriated funds by their own efforts. All such additional funds must be fully recorded as revenues, fully accounted for as expenditures, and fully reflected in the accounts of the organizations. If materials, etc., use the name of Stockton, the plans for raising funds must be approved by the Office of Student Development. 

The Office of Student Development and Student Senate Finance Committee will evaluate each organization to determine if they have met the fiscal control standards of Stockton University and Office of Student Development, the goals of the organization, and followed through on plans outlined in the organization's Budget Request. 

An organization’s association with, recognition by, and financial assistance from Stockton University are matters of trust and privilege. Thus organizations are subject to loss of these privileges for failure to maintain proper financial records. Specifically, a recipient is subject to disciplinary action if any of the following situations occur:

  • Funds are used for purposes other than those for which they were originally budgeted and approved by Student Senate, the Office of Student Development and the Assistant Vice President for Engagement and Community Development. Changes cannot be made to support activities specifically denied by the Student Senate, Office of Student Development and the Assistant Vice President for Engagement and Community Development.
  • There is evidence that funds and/or equipment have been stolen by or in collusion with the recipients.
  • Stockton University regulations or policies have been violated.
  • Organization did not adhere to Office of Student Development Standards of Practice 
  • Organization members have violated civil ordinances and/or state laws carrying out organization activities.

Any report of discrepancies and/or violations should be submitted to the Office of Student Development, which will evaluate the report and present its findings to the Student Senate for its review. Written complaints may also be received from other sources at the discretion of the Student Senate. The Student Senate will hear such complaints as a whole or by a committee of the Student Senate specifically charged to review such complaints. The Senate will consider these complaints, call appropriate witnesses, and recommend a course of action to the Director of Student Development, who will impose sanctions as appropriate. All appeals from such sanctions must be submitted in writing to the Assistant Vice President for Engagement and Community Development within two weeks from the date of notification of the sanction.

The Student Senate or Office of Student Development may recommend, and the Assistant Vice President for Engagement and Community Development may approve the following sanctions singularly or in combinations:

  • Written reprimand to the violator
  • Probation for a specified time or until specified conditions are met
  • Reduction or suspension of allocated funds
  • Suspension of the right to apply for funds
  • Removal of recognized status of an organization
  • Initiation of an official complaint charging violation of the Campus Code of Conduct 

Funded Organizations that did not receive an annual budget, or are in need of additional funds to augment their budget can submit a Funding Request through OspreyHub. Funding Requests are a way for organizations that do not have enough funds to host desired programs and/or attend conferences. The organization must:

  • Decide as an organization that the activity is important enough to request funding by the democratic method as outlined in the groups constitution (typically a vote of all eligible members).
  • Submit a Funding Request on OspreyHub, including documentation of all expenses
  • Include dates and times for the program, club contribution, and personal contribution (if any), and requested amount.
  • Meet with Student Development Advisor at least one week or more (please refer to Student Development and/or Senate website for Funding Request due date schedule) before meeting with the Finance Committee. 
  • The Student Senate Finance Chair will verify the Student Development advisor has approved the request.
  • Attend Finance Committee meeting. The Finance Committee will ask questions in a content neutral manner and recommend a funding amount or recommend not to fund the request as documented in the Student Senate Constitution.
  • If nessessary attend Student Senate meeting to give a brief overview of the program, trip, or conference for which the club is seeking funds. Organization officers should be prepared to answer questions from the Student Senate.  The Student Senate will approve or deny funds as documented in the Student Senate Constitution.
All fund raised money or revenue must be deposited into your organization’s campus account. To deposit revenue, complete a Student Organization Revenue Report (deposit form) along with the revenue to the Office of Student Development. The Office of Student Development will then record and deposit the money into the organization's revenue account, and will provide a copy of the deposit form.

All expenditures must adhere to the Office of Student Development's purchasing timelines and guidelines and receive prior approval from the organization's Student Development advisor. After the fact expenses that should have been reasonably planned for and were not emergency in nature will not be approved. THE UNIVERSITY WILL NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PURCHASE MADE WITHOUT THE PRIOR APPROVAL OF STUDENT DEVELOPMENT ADVISOR OR DIRECTOR OF STUDENT DEVELOPMENT.

The following organizations, groups, items, or individuals are not eligible for use of funds from the Stockton University activity fee:

  • Independent, off-campus/non-Stockton University organizations, organizations that are not Stockton-based organizations are not eligible for funds 
  • Organizations and activities that discriminate based on any protected class, including race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender identity or expression, affectional or sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, liability for service in the Armed Forces of the United States, disability or nationality
  • Academic equipment or supplies, which should be purchased with funds allocated to academic affairs or the library
  • Academic programs (including any program where credit is received or are directly linked to a class or academic program) 
  • Items that are not essential to the operations of the organization 
  • Loans to students, faculty, staff or any person 
  • Payment of personal membership dues, assessments, or other costs of an off-campus organization that could be transferred off campus 
  • Social welfare donations. Only profit from a fund-raiser (revenue minus Stockton University activity fee used to fund the program) may be donated to a charity or philanthropic cause.  
  • Closed social gatherings
  • Reimbursements for expenditures without prior approval from the Director of Student Development. Reimbursements for emergency situations may be considered.
  • Direct payments to current Stockton Students, for services rendered or products purchased.
  • Any NJ State sales taxes.
  • Items or equipment with such narrow and specific uses that it cannot be easily “recycled” back into the campus community. (including items that will be stored in not generally accessable locations such as off campus or academic labs)
  • Any personalized items or equipment, uniforms or apparel that will not be returned to the organization that is over $75 in value.  If essential equipment or uniforms are needed, individual members will be required to pay or fundraise a portion of the expense equal to 20% of cost of the equipment or uniform.
  • Event with an expected cost of over $100 per student without a ticket price.  When possible, student ticket prices should be approximately equal to 20% of the per person cost of the event (non-student tickets should be higher). Professional or developmental conferences are not typically included in this limitation.
  • Alcoholic beverages, any alcohol linked event expenses or any events where alcohol is the main focus of the program, unless approved by the Director of Student Development
  • Funded student organizations may not co-sponsor an event with a non-funded student organization, when the funded organization is not a full partner or when the non-funded organization is not contributing to the event.
  • Gifts for advisors or members, with the exception of awards/plaques. This includes graduation supplies or stoles/cords.
  • Tips and gratuity that exceed industry standards (i.e. Restaurant servers typically receive 15-20%) or are not required by industry standards (i.e. Uber, hosts, tour guides).
  • Unnecessary travel fees (i.e. toll/parking violations, upgraded seats, additional baggage fees, rental car refueling fees)

Prizes are defined as any item given to individuals for personal gain or benefits.  Any prize must be approved by the Office of Student Development.

Prizes that are purchased from the student activity fee (SAF), organization budgets, or other non-revenue sources must adhere to the following provisions:

  • Prizes can only be given to a current Stockton student
  • Prizes should be awarded by public drawing, skill contest, or independently, non student judged contest (such as judged by alumni or faculty).
  • Prizes should not be awarded to a member or officer of the sponsoring organization.

All prizes, regardless of funding source, must adhere to the following provisions:

  • The value of the prize should be limited to $50, unless approved by the Director of Student Development. Approval is contingent on being a specialized contest or large scale drawing.
  • Prize cannot be in the form of cash or bank issued gift cards.
  • A Prize Receipt must be completed. This record includes the identity of the recipient(s), itemized list, and value of prize items. Prize recepients may be subject to taxable income. 

Giveaways and marketing items are defined as any item given away by an RSO that is given indiscriminately or to a much wider audience then a prize.  They are typically inexpensive and ordered in large enough numbers to be widely distributed. More expensive or more desirable giveaways may be tiered to entice attendance at events and meetings or used in drawings similar to prizes.   

Funded Organizations should not carry more than $10,000 or more than 50% of their annual budget from year to year*.  Any organization that carries over significant revenue funds may be required to provide a plan to reduce their revenue in the following year or may receive a reduction in annual funding. It is expected that each RSO operates on an annual basis, so generally funds raised by the current students should be spent to benefit the current students. Funds raised for charitable donation should be processed and donated in a timely fashion.

*The Stockton Entertainment Team ticket revenue, and any funds raised for social and/or charitable donation that is waiting for donation is not typically included in this limitation.

Using Your Budget

  1. Making or arranging for the purpose of the desired item(s), and securing a quote, should always be done in advance of delivery of the item(s).  A letter of agreement/contract will serve this purpose for a performance, lecture, etc.  The Office of Student Development cannot process a check requisition without the proper documentation, i.e., quote, contract, or letter of agreement.
  2. Submit a Purchase Request on OspreyHub for approval.
  3. The Office of Accounts Payable will mail the check to the vendor once backup documentation is provided by the Office of Student Development.

NOTE: A person may not process a Purchase Request asking for a check to be made payable to him or herself or to have a check picked up when that vendor is set up with Net 30 terms.

  1. Student initiates expenditure and meets with the Office of Student Development advisor for permission to complete purchase. 
  2.  Determine whether the vendor is registered with Stockton University.  If not, work with vendor and the Office of Student Development to obtain a W9 form for vendor registration.
  3. After receiving a quote from the vendor, the Student Development staff enters a requisition in
  4. Banner for approval.
  5. The Office of Purchasing converts requisition to a purchase order and sends it to the vendor.
  6. Vendor receives the purchase order and then ships the goods.
  7. Receiving Department delivers items to the Office of Student Development.
  8. Student Development staff does electronic receiving in Banner.
  9. Accounts Payable processes payment once the invoice is received, and then mails the check to the vendor.
  • For all items less than $4,999.99, competitive quotes are not required.
  • All items in the range of $5,000.00 - $32,099.99 must receive prior approval of the Office of Student Development, and three telephone or written quotations must be obtained. All three quotes must be maintained and attached to the check requisition form.
  • More than $32,100.00, formal advertised bid will be coordinated through the Purchasing Department or a bid waiver will be required.
  • For all entertainment and performers less than $32,099, no bidding is required.  A bid waiver is required for bids in excess of $32,100.
  • Any purchases or contracts over $4,815, the vendor/artist/performer must produce a New Jersey Business Registration Certificate and be a registered Stockton University vendor and registered with the State of New Jersey Division of Revenue.
  • For services where the vendor will be on Stockton University property a certificate of insurance is required, as deemed appropriate by the Office of Risk Management.
  • Leasing of rental equipment is not permitted without original vendor quote and certificate of insurance as deemed necessary by Risk Management. 

All Stockton University purchasing must be done in accordance with appropriate State laws, regulations, policies and procedures, which include laws related to Small, Women, and Minority Businesses, and New Jersey Business Registration.

  1. Student initiates expenditure and meets with the Office of Student Development advisor for permission to host an event. 
  2. Determine whether the DJ is registered with Stockton University.  If not, work with the DJ and the Office of Student Development to obtain a W9 form for vendor registration.
  3. All DJs in which Stockton University procures services over the amount of $4,815 either directly or through other organizations are required to provide proof that they have a New Jersey Business Registration.  Information regarding the Business Registration is located in the State of New Jersey Department of Revenue website.  
  4. Selected DJs may need to have proof of comprehensive general liability insurance of $1/$3M,automobile liability and workers compensation insurance.  Approved DJs should also be able to provide sufficient proof that they have addressed anti-piracy laws regarding copyrights, royalties, etc. through licensing agreements and/or insurance. 
  5. After receiving a quote from the DJ, secure a contract from him/her, inclusive of rider/performance requirements and payment invoice.  The Office of Student Development will then submit a contract request to the Office of Staff Counsel for a designated contract number. Stockton University will use that contract number to draft up its own contract. Stockton University’s contract overrides the DJ’s contract. Also, the DJ’s contract will be reviewed by Stockton University’s Staff Counsel Office and Risk Management staff. Once it has been reviewed, it must be returned to the DJ for signature.  He/She will return it to Stockton University for final signature by the Director of Student Development and/or the Vice President of Administration and Finance.  A copy of the fully executed contract will then be sent to the DJ by the Office of Student Development.  If he/she does not supply a contract, Stockton University’s authorized contract will solely be used.  All DJs must sign a contract (even if they are not receiving compensation) prior to performing on campus.  Only staff designated by Stockton University are permitted to sign contracts on behalf of Stockton University.
  6. The DJ must have a signed contract in place prior to the event indicating that he/she will be responsible for indemnifying and holding harmless Stockton University  from all risks, losses or claims arising out of their performance of the contract. Stockton University is not permitted to indemnify any of the DJs, and these provisions will be removed during review. 
  7. The DJ should provide his/her own equipment and check in with the campus police before transporting his/her equipment on campus. 
  8. It is suggested that any groups procuring a DJ plan ahead and allow at least 30 business days prior to the event to ensure that the contract process is completed correctly and all documents are signed by Stockton University ’s authorized contracting person.
  9. After the performance Student Development staff will enter a Direct Pay request in Banner for approval.
  10. Accounts Payable processes payment and mails the check to the vendor once backup documentation is provided by the Office of Student Development

Stockton Dining Services is assigned to provide and manage Stockton University's food service program. With the exception of personal consumption, all food and beverage served at university-approved events on the Galloway Campus must be contracted through Stockton Dining Services. 

The External Food Service Provider Formis required under the following conditions:

  • Service at the Atlantic City Campus, Manahawkin Instructional Site, Kramer Hall in Hammonton, or the Azeez Museum in Woodbine

  • Specific cultural or religious culinary needs
    (Food requiring distinct and unique preparation due to cultural or religious reasons AND the Stockton University’s Catering Services cannot meet the specific needs of the host group)

  • Food Truck for Galloway Campus
    (Food Trucks that receive approval to sell food items may be required to pay an operating fee made payable to Stockton University to sell products on campus to attendees.)

Visit the External Food Service Provider Form & Requirements website to learn more. 

  • Discuss event and catering needs with Student Development advisor.
  • Log on to to submit your catering order. Click here for instructions.
  • When checking out on CaterTrax, student organizations with a budget should indicate payment method is Student Development. Groups without a budget can indicate their own payment preference (cash, credit card, check, etc.).
  • Put your Student Development Advisor’s e-mail address in the “Approval E-mail Address” section. 
  • Once your CaterTrax order is submitted, you will receive an e-mail with your order. You will receive another e-mail once your order has been approved by your advisor. 
  • Add a Purchase Request in OspreyHub, using the invoice as documentation. 
  • After your event, Chartwells will send an invoice to Student Development, and the expense will be processed from your organization’s budget. 
  • The following procedures have been put in place to allow equal access and opportunities to all clubs and organizations and to ensure collection and accountability of funds while complying with Stockton University health and safety policies.
  • A club/organization is permitted two fundraisers per month in the gallery.  Three consecutive days will be considered one fundraiser. 
  • Table location is limited to Lower D, Lower I-J Galleries, Campus Center Coffeehouse and Campus Center Food Court.  An organization is limited to a maximum of two tables each day and may not bring in additional tables. Stockton University reserves the right to limit the number and type of auxiliary displays.
  • Organizations/vendors may solicit between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.  Exceptions to locations, days, and times may be made at the discretion of the Director of Student Development.
  • The same item or product may not be sponsored by more than one club/organization on the same day.  A schedule of vendors and products will be kept for reference in the Event Services and Campus Center Operations Office.
  • Clubs/organizations will not be given permission to sell items that are sold by Stockton University contracted vendors, i.e., food service, bookstore, or vending machines.
  • The Request for Gallery Table form must be approved by your Student Development advisor, at least two business days before the event to verify date availability.  The Event Services and Campus Center Operations will give final authorization of the project and notify the club/organization representative.
  • The cost for external vendor space is $45 per day for a maximum of two tables.  An introductory fee of $25 per day may be offered for first-time vendors once each year.  The vendor is responsible for paying the fee at the Event Services Campus Center before setting up for the day.  A permit to solicit will be issued to the vendor after payment is made.  The vendor must display this permit while selling.  Students are not to accept payments from vendors.
  •  The Event Services and Campus Center Operations will collect fees and make deposits directly to the appropriate club/organization account.

Requests for expenditures by organizations against their allocated funds will be made by submitting a Purchase Request on OspreyHub. This office will review the purchase request to ascertain that it is within the purpose approved in the budget and that it conforms to the spending plan. No requisition will be processed that is not accompanied by proper original supporting documents, i.e., contract or quote.  If the office believes that the purchase request is inaccurate, it will so advise the requesting organization.

All bills, payments, or contracts sent to the Office of Student Development must be addressed to the organization in care of the Office of Student Development. The office will facilitate the billing of the appropriate organizational account. Mail for organizations will be placed in mailboxes provided in the Campus Center.


The Office of Student Development maintains an accounting record, which distinguishes the accounts of each organization. This office shall process promptly (normally within 30 days) the requisition for an expenditure forwarded by the requesting organization. This procedure shall provide an appropriate record for the organization.

  • Student initiates expenditure request and meets with the Office of Student Development advisor for permission to host an event.
  • Determine whether the vendor is registered with Stockton University.  If not, work with vendor and the Office of Student Development to obtain a W9 form for vendor registration. If the amount is over $4,815, the vendor must also be registered with the State of New Jersey Division of Revenue.
  • Secure preliminary information about the performance, e.g., approximate costs, possible dates, and possible site.
  • Submit and receive approval for necessary Stockton University space and resources for anticipated dates, i.e., space, equipment and setup needs.
  •  Secure a proposal from the performer/presenter, inclusive of rider/performance requirements and payment invoice. The Office of Student Development will then submit a contract request to the Office of Staff Counsel for a designated contract number. Stockton University will use that contract number to draft up its own contract. Stockton University’s contract overrides the performer’s contract.  Also, the performer/presenter’s contract will be reviewed by Stockton University’s Staff Counsel Office and Risk Management staff.  Once it has been reviewed, both Stockton University’s and the performer’s contract will be returned to the performer/presenter for signature.  The performer/presenter must return it to Stockton University for final signature by the Director of Student Development and/or the Vice President of Administration and Finance.  A copy of the fully executed contract will then be sent to the performer/presenter by the Office of Student Development.  All performers/presenters must sign a contract (even if they are not receiving compensation) prior to coming to campus.  Only staff designated by Stockton University are permitted to sign contracts.
  • After the performance Student Development staff will enter a Direct Pay request in Banner for approval.
  • Accounts Payable processes payment and mails the check to the vendor once backup documentation is provided by the Office of Student Development.

Event Planning & Event Management 

All paperwork should be completed at least three weeks prior to the date of the event so that appropriate arrangements may be made. Large scale events may require additional time to complete the facility / resource review and scheduling process. For events which are new, or determined to be high risk by Stockton University, space reservations will be listed as tentative until the leadership of the sponsoring organization completes all planning and information gathering meetings as requested by Stockton University.  The Office of Student Development may decide to execute a “lottery” for events requesting historically popular dates, i.e., dances.

The facilities of Stockton University are regarded as institutional resources and they are to be utilized for the maximum benefit of the Stockton University community. Time, space and resource management is carefully pursued to ensure Stockton University’s programs are delivered in the most efficient manner. It is the general policy of Stockton University to assign space and time to activities on the basis of their importance to the academic mission of Stockton University and how effectively they support what Stockton University is doing. The assignment priorities are in the following order: 

A.  Provision of essential services.

B.  Academic Scheduling specified in the "master schedule of academic classes” and through non-specific-modules courses and programming offered by graduate and continuing studies.

C. Institutional programs that complement the academic and co- curricular activities.
D.  Student sponsored programs.

 It is important to remember that space includes all Stockton University property, not just rooms in buildings. Thus, organized activities that require plazas, galleries, classrooms, athletic facilities, etc., must also be requested through the above procedures with the Office of Student Development.

 The Office of Student Development will assist clubs in selecting dates and times for activities, which will promote a balanced program. Clubs planning performances or special campus events must check with the Office of Student Development so that their programs will not conflict with previously scheduled activities, conferences on campus, special test dates, etc.

Understanding that Stockton University’s resources are limited, requests will be scheduled in the most reasonable and efficient manner. All requests for facilities and resources to support events will be evaluated against:   

The established Annual Programming Calendar
Facility and availability of resources, labor and equipment
Appropriateness of the requested venue
Risk Management Assessment

Approval of space for all on-campus co-curricular functions by recognized student organizations at Stockton University is requested through the Office of Student Development. Student organizations must have signed permission by their advisor before requesting space from the Office of Event Services and Campus Center Operations, Campus Center Suite 241.

The Office of Events Services and Campus Center Operations schedules space for all on-campus co-curricular functions at Stockton University. In order to request space for a function, a Request for Use of Stockton University Facilities Form must be filled out containing all information pertinent to the planned event such as date, time, expected attendance, specific room request, etc. Only signed forms will be reviewed.

When space is reserved, arrangements can be made for audio-visual services, security, food services, and room set ups. Prior to scheduling space for the use of any purpose, the individual, group, club or organization desiring to use Stockton University  facilities must agree to assume full responsibility for damages to property and to pay for damages incurred. Additionally, Stockton University expressly disclaims any liability for any personal injuries incurred while using a Stockton University facility. The Office of Event Services will assist with arranging support services.

Student organizations needing to cancel an event must do so by contacting the Office of Student Development no less than 48 hours in advance of the scheduled event. Student Development will immediately notify the Office of Event Services and Campus Center Operations of the cancellation of the facility and support services. The Office of Student Development will also assist with canceling any contracted services (catering, DJ, speaker, etc).  Organizations not adhering to this cancellation procedure may incur administrative and labor costs relative to the event.  Additionally, services requested for an event, which are not utilized during the event, may also receive charges to cover the costs associated with the service.

The Office of Event Services & Campus Center Operations maintains and provides a limited supply of audio/visual support for student organization events at Stockton University.  Request for sound equipment should be indicated on the Request for Use of Stockton University Facilities Form along with a description of the equipment requested and its intended function.

For more information on the audio/visual capabilities and services offered by the Campus Center, please contact the Office of Event Services & Campus Center Operations at 609-652-4878.

A Student Development or Faculty Advisor is responsible for accessing electronic equipment in classrooms and/or reserving portable laptop/projectors. The advisor must be present and must ensure that its use is in compliance with Stockton University’s defined Acceptable Use Standards.  Training is required for the use of the electronic equipment in the classrooms. Training sessions are offered at and before the beginning of the fall and spring semesters.  In the event of a scheduling conflict, alternate training solutions are available.  Keys to access the electronic lectern equipment are issued at the training sessions offered by the Department of Computer and Telecommunications Services.  Equipment will not be opened for use by a student group without a student development or faculty advisor present.   In certain cases, the Office of Event Services and Campus Center Operations may request a venue manager or technician to assist with this function in the absence of an advisor.  

Student sponsored events are valued as part of the mission of Stockton University. Facility rental fees generally will not apply for use of Stockton University  facilities by student organizations, however, in certain cases, it may be necessary to charge fees for the use of services, equipment/or labor to organizations not funded by the Stockton University  activity fee. Each case will be decided on its own merits. The factors taken into account will include clean up, security, furniture moving, and audio-visual equipment. Every effort will be made to avoid special fees for Stockton University organizations and activities; however, all space users not funded by the Stockton University  activity fee must be prepared to pay for special services.

The Office of Event Services & Campus Center Operations provides a centralized student event ticketing service for use by student organizations and administrative offices affiliated with Stockton University. Ticketing services are handled thru the Information & Operations Desk located on the main level in the Grand Hall of the Campus Center. Ticketing services are available Monday thru Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and Sunday from 10:00 a.m. thru 11:30 p.m. These times may be altered during holidays and official Stockton University breaks. Cash, Checks, and Osprey Cash are accepted for transactions at the operations center, currently no credit or debit cards may be used to purchase tickets. Tickets must be purchased in person and are not available for Internet or phone orders.

Stockton University recognized student organizations are encouraged to sell tickets through Campus Center Ticketing Services located at the Campus Center Information & Operations Desk. Administrative offices may also sell tickets which are intended for students and held in venues other than the Performing Arts Center.

Sponsor/Student Organization Responsibilities:A Ticket Sales Contract must be filled out and submitted to the Office of Event Services & Campus Center Operations at least two weeks in advance of the sales start date. Contracts submitted less than two weeks in advance may not be able to be honored. All requests for multiple ticket categories or complimentary tickets must be made at time of agreement signing. Tickets will not be released from the Operations Center. If tickets are sold “at the door” it is recommended that guests be instructed to visit the Information & Operations Desk to pick up their tickets. No Ticket Sales agreement will be considered approved until all necessary signatures are obtained. Please do not advertise that tickets will be on sale until you have a signed contract and are contacted by the Office of Event Services and Campus Center Operations.

Sponsored organizations may not deposit any funds in any account other than that set up for Stockton University activity fee. Independent organizations may contact the Office of Student Development to set up an account.

Sponsored organizations are required to account for their estimated revenue in the budget request that they submit each year.  The Student Senate and the Office of Student Development will review the plan for this revenue and make recommendations on it.  Each organization is required to spend its income in accordance with an approved plan. Any revenue that exceeds the total amount of funds allocated by the Student Senate, including supplemental requests, may be carried forward to the next academic year. Exceptions to this must be approved by the Director of Student Development.

Event Services & Campus Center Operations Responsibilities: Campus Center Ticketing Services will contact the sponsor to confirm their requests for tickets. Tickets will go on sale at the Information & Operations Desk on the start date and be removed on the stop date as outlined on this agreement. Campus Center Ticketing Services will verify sales and calculate the proceeds from the event. All proceeds will be transferred to the organization’s account by internal transfer. No cash will change hands between Campus Center Ticketing Services and the client. The Office for Event Services & Campus Center Operations will be responsible for the accuracy of cash  and Osprey Cash sales only, any check’s collected that are determined to have insufficient funds will be deducted from the revenue total prior to transferring revenue to sponsor. Campus Center staff will check for student /staff ID prior to sale of tickets unless otherwise instructed on the contract. If sales are based off of an organization roster, or guest list, that list should be provided at time of agreement submission.

A majority of off campus travel requires liability waivers; Campus Center staff will obtain signed waivers from attendees who purchase these types of tickets. If deemed necessary The Office of Event Services & Campus Center Operations reserves the right to reject requests for ticket sales or stop selling tickets for a particular event.

As of January 1st 2012, this is a free service available to all student organizations and administrative offices. All costs and fees associated with the printing and issuing of tickets will be absorbed by the Office of Event Services and Campus Center Operations. Any questions should be directed to the Assistant Director of Campus Center Operations and Programs at 609-626-3410 or by email at


Mitigating Risk
In order to ensure the safest event possible for students, staff, alumni, guests and vendors, certain risk indicators and the likelihood of their potential effect on the event will be evaluated. This evaluation will be completed by the Offices of Student Development, Campus Police, Event Services and the facility manager as appropriate. Proper health, safety and security procedures will be arranged according to the level of risk assessed for the event. These risk indicators include admission procedures, advertising, presence of alcohol and/or food, artist/lecturer/activity, cash management, concurrent events, construction, environmental impact, potential/expected attendees, sponsorship, venue, event history, nature of the event, scheduled time, number of attendees, parking, and other possible risk indicators. Events involving significant guests, door tickets sales and/or cash transactions and requiring two admissions points as described below, will require representatives to meet with the facility manager and complete a Responsibility and Procedure Checklist.  Minimally, this should occur one week prior to the scheduled event date.  Sponsoring organizations may be responsible for the cost of security measures and staffing.


Student Sponsored Social Events
All events of this type (concerts, band competitions, pageants, lectures, games, formal dances, etc.) will be reviewed by appropriate offices for risk, facility impact resource requirements.  Based on this review, appropriate safety and security measures and staffing requirements will be implemented.  Risk factors as listed in the section on Mitigating Risk will have significant impact on what measures are implemented.  Safety and security requirements beyond what Stockton University can supply may be the financial responsibility of the sponsoring group (i.e. metal detectors, event insurance, security guards).

Higher Risk Events and Events Requiring Event Insurance

 In consultation with University Risk Management, certain events and activities are deemed to hold too much risk for the university.   Some of these events will not be approved and some may require event insurance to protect the participants and the university from loss.   These high risk activities will be restricted to current students only and care must be given by the organizer to ensure the safety of all participants and the completion of any required waiver. 

Typical events that will not be approved include but are not limited to firearms training and shooting sports, fire work displays, sky diving, flying lessons, automotive racing, ownership of specialized equipment in need of specialized care, specialized insurance and/or training such as rock climbing equipment, kayaks/canoes/boats, motorized transportation, paintball equipment, weapons, knives or torches.  

Typical events that may require the sponsoring organization to obtain event insurance include; open ocean swimming, ingestion of things not commonly understood to be food, eating contests, interacting with wild or domesticated animals, impact sports, and fire larger than a BBQ.

Note:  The procedures for dance parties have been adopted as the result of Task Force recommendations made and submitted during the spring 2013 semester.  The Task Force consisted of students representing Greek Life, Student Senate and various clubs and organizations, along with administrators from Athletics, Campus Police, Dean of Students, Equal Opportunity Fund, Event Services and Campus Center Operations, Risk Management, and Student Development.


This procedure was updated in Summer and Fall of 2018 to reflect the new spaces and the needs for more flexible event types that include DJ’s and dancing but do not fit the definition of full “dance party”.  This draft will be reviewed and accepted by the Vice President of Student Affairs in consultation with Director of Campus Public Safety after review and comment period by student leaders.


Definition:  A dance/party is a large-scale event/activity containing most or all of the criteria below:

  1. Set-up consisting of most, or all, of the following: empty room, or almost empty room, minimal seating, minimal lighting
  2. Attendance, or anticipated attendance is more than 100
  3. A band or DJ provides the entertainment
  4. Event is publicized to the public and expected audience has a large percentage of off campus guests
  5. Any part of the event is described by the sponsoring organization as a dance or party or a title descriptive of a similar event

Designated Facilities and Capacities for Dance/Parties

 I-Wing Gymnasium; Capacity 350

Campus Center Event Room; Capacity 300

Sports Center: capacity varies, but any amount over 500 would not fit this definition.

 Campus Public Safety shall determine security needs for dance parties.

Definition: Dinner Dance is an event that is either smaller in scale or with a mainly Stockton Audience that is less risky than a Dance/Party.  The University distinguishes between large dance events where dance is the primary activity (requiring a greater security plan) and an event that includes entertainment or a dance component that is only an element of the program and not the focus.  These events may have a smaller security plan and typically meet most of the following criteria:


  1. It must have a main or formal program such as a stage show, awards, or cultural showcase with dancing being a minor component. The main purpose of the event is not just a DJ and or band or the attendees dancing.
  2. Set-up consists of dancing space, but also has other features such as a stage for a show, tables for eating or audience seating.
  3. Dancing does not comprise more than half of the scheduled duration or designation of the program (may overlap in time or space) or is a mostly Stockton Student Audience with strong guest limiting measures in place.
  1. Any procedure from dance party procedures may be included in smaller security plan, but will be determined between organization, advisors, event services, and campus police during the planning phase. IE: A band showcase in event room may require wrist bands, but allow entry for ticketed guests during the entire event.


Designated Facilities and Capacities for Dinner Dance events includes but are not limited to:

All locations available for Dance Parties (Max Capacities listed but typically smaller by design, or the presence of tables and chairs, or other large items, that may reduce numbers)

TRLC; capacity 125

Lakeside Lodge: capacity 150

CD Atrium: capacity 100

Alton Auditorium: Capacity 250 (seated, small performance area)

Fannie Lou Hamer Event Room: Capacity 150

Outdoor Spaces such as the Freshman Quad or Oasis


Definition: After Party is a period of dancing after an event.  This may include a short time of open dancing in the same location as the event itself (similar to a dinner dance) or a designated second space.  This kind of activity may require some procedures of Dinner Dance, Dance Party or regular events.   It is best that the organization sponsoring an event with possible after party activity plan the event with their Student Development advisor as a dinner dance. 


If an event ends early or has a change of plans, after parties may spontaneously occur, but this must be approved and monitored by Student Development staff or staffing from appropriate sponsoring offices.  As long as the after party activity is safe and following procedures agreed to by students and advisors it will be allowed to continue.  If at any time the mood of the audience or safety of the event changes, the event may be shut down earlier then first projected by either the student sponsors, the advisors, ESSCO Staff or Campus Police.



Eligibility for Sponsorship of Dance/Parties

Recognized student organizations in good standing with the Office of Student Development may hold on-campus dance/parties for social or fundraising purposes provided:


  • One or more of the student leaders from each sponsoring organization has completed the required Dance/Party Protocol Training.
  • The sponsoring organization must have a minimum of eight (8) active members or must co-sponsor with an organization in order to meet this minimum number. As many as three (3) non-Stockton tri-chapter members will be permitted to work dance parties.
  • The sponsoring student organization adheres to all guidelines articulated in this policy.


The ability to host any event on campus is dependent on the availability of the facilities and staff.  As much advance scheduling as possible is always desired.


Approval, Scheduling and Registration Processes:

The sponsoring student organization(s) must be registered with and recognized by the Office of Student Development in order to schedule and publicize an event on campus and utilize campus facilities. All events must be officially registered and approved by both the Office of Student Development and the Office of Event Services prior to being advertised.  A student organization may not advertise an event until official registration approval has been received from the Office of Event Services and Campus Center Operations. At this time, requests for all events are taken on a first come, first served basis, as space is available.  Final registration approval will depend on facility and resource availability. Organizations will assume financial responsibility for any damage, abuse, or loss of property that occurs as a result of their event. Payment for any facility damages will be taken directly from event revenues.


For Dance Parties a representative from each sponsoring organization must meet the designated Student Development Advisor at least two weeks prior to the scheduled event to complete all event paperwork including an “Event Responsibility Checklist”.  These individuals are responsible to share information regarding the sponsoring organizations roles with all members in a timely manner. Failure to do so may result in cancellation of the event.


Publicity Requirements for Dance/Parties

All advertisements/invitations/social media postings for dances and parties must include the following and must be approved by the Office of Student Develop prior to being posted:

  • Minimum age of 18 years
  • I.D. requirements
  • Event start and end time
  • No ticket sales after 10:30 p.m.
  • No admittance after 11:00 p.m.
  • Cost of ticket
  • Name of sponsoring organization(s)
  • Metal detectors will be in use


Safety and Security for Dance/Parties

A major priority is the safety and security of students, faculty, staff and guests.  Dance/parties have inherent risks such as outside guests, late night scheduling, low lighting, open floor setup and young energetic attendees.  To maintain a safe environment, a collaborative working relationship must be present between the sponsoring organizations, Campus Police, Student Development and facility managers.  Below are the procedures designed to develop a collaborative, student-centered, working relationship and the safest environment possible. 


The sponsoring organization representative(s) will meet with the Student Development advisor and a representative of Campus Police approximately two weeks prior to the event to complete a Dance Party Checklist, which outlines the sponsoring organization(s) responsibilities.


A pre-event walkthrough of the facility will be conducted approximately 30 minutes prior to the advertised start time of the event.  Present for this walkthrough will be the eight (8) representatives from the sponsoring organizations, Campus Police, Student Development advisor, facility manager.  The purpose of the walkthrough is to identify/define responsibilities for the event and build a collaborative working relationship.


Walkthrough and/or hand held metal detectors, operated by Campus Police, will be used at the event entrance unless determined otherwise prior to the event. Campus Police minimal staffing patterns will be as follows:

  • 2 officers for dances with 200 or less attendees
  • 3 officers if attendance is between 200-300
  • 4 officers if attendance is over 300 (capacity in any venue is 350 or less)

Note: In situations where Stockton University becomes aware of additional risks, staffing patterns may be increased and additional safety/security measures may be implemented.  In such cases the sponsoring organization(s) will be informed as soon as possible.  Campus Police has the authority to shut down the event if deemed necessary. 


Attendance and Identification Requirements for Dance/Parties

  • Stockton students will be required to show their Stockton I.D. when purchasing a ticket or when making original entry to the event.  Students will not be permitted into the event without proper I.D.
  • Stockton students are eligible to bring three Stockton student guests and must sign for their guest(s) at the event entry point. Guests must show their current Stockton University I.D. and some valid form of government issued I.D.  Typically this would be a driver’s license, military or county issued I.D.  Guests will not be permitted entry to the event without proper I.D. and being signed in by their Stockton student host.
  • The student signing in a guest will be held responsible for their guest’s actions as outlined by Stockton’s Code of Conduct.
  • A maximum of 10 additional “VIP” guests will be permitted per event.  These guests must have a ticket.  They may be Stockton or non-Stockton individuals and must be identified on a “VIP” guest list submitted to the Office of Student Development a minimum of one day prior to the event.  Individuals on this list will be required to bring some form of valid government picture I.D. 


Event Ticketing and Financial Procedures

Sponsoring organizations who are using any event for fundraising purposes must create a Stockton “pass-through” account by submitting a W-9 to the Office of Student Development and following all necessary instructions to create the account. Tickets for the event will be available exclusively through the Campus Center ticketing service with the following options:


  • Sponsoring organizations may request to sell as many as 1/3 of the event tickets on their own prior to the event.  Unsold tickets must be returned by 12 noon at least one business day prior to the event.  Any unsold tickets not returned will be deducted from the available tickets for the event. 
  • Sponsoring organizations may request all available tickets be purchased at the Campus Center Information Desk.
  • Sponsoring organizations will determine ticket pricing and configurations with their Student Development advisor and Campus Center staff during the ticketing contract completion process.


Note:  Students will have the ability to purchase their ticket and their guest ticket(s) simultaneously or separately.  Guests will not be able to purchase a ticket without their Stockton host being present.  Ticket sales will not be available until the event has been confirmed by the Office of Events Services and Campus Center Operations and the required agreements have been signed.


Revenue from tickets sold through the Campus Center will be deposited into the organization’s Stockton account within two business days after the event.  Organizations can access their funds by request to the Office of Student Development. Revenue from tickets sold by the organization will be the responsibility of the organization.

Students and guests must be in-line by 10:30 p.m. to purchase tickets the night of the event.  Staff from Student Development and/or Campus Police and a representative from the sponsoring organization will enforce the 10:30 p.m. cut off time. No exceptions.  This may be adjusted for events that do not follow a traditional 1am end time.


Non-funded student organizations may be subject to rental and/or staffing fees, but historically Stockton has not imposed any charges.  Should any fees be imposed upon a non-funded group, such information would be disclosed prior to official confirmation of the event.  Such charges would be paid from the event proceeds prior to release of any funds to the sponsoring organization(s).


Entry and Re-Entry for Dance/Parties

  • Staff from the Office of Student Development will staff and manage the event entry point(s) with assistance from the sponsoring organization(s).
  • Entry will only be permitted only through the established entry point(s).
  • Stockton students and guests will be required show their I.D.(s) at the entry point(s), and print and sign their name on the attendance sheet provided by Student Development.
  • The “VIP” guest list will be available at the entry point(s).  Only those individuals listed will be permitted access without a Stockton student serving as their host.
  • Stockton students and guests will be wrist banded after signing in prior to entry.
  • No initial entry after 11:00 p.m.  This means those who have purchased tickets must be wrist-banded at the entry point prior to 11:00 p.m.  If a line of ticket holders is present, those in line at 11:00 p.m. will be permitted access.  Staff from Student Development and/or Campus Police and a representative from the sponsoring organization will enforce this procedure.
  • Reentering the event will be through the original entry point and wristbands must be shown.
  • Exterior doors to facilities lock at midnight.  Anyone exiting the facility after this time will not be able to return to the facility.


Sponsoring Organization(s) Responsibilities for Dance/Parties

  1. The organization(s) is responsible for selecting at least eight student members who will be responsible for the assisting Student Development staff for the duration of the event. 
  2. These eight individuals must arrive 45 minutes prior to the advertised event start time
  3. These eight individuals must wear an I.D. lanyard provided by the Office of Student Development.
  4. Their responsibilities will be as follows :
    1. Participate in a facility walkthrough prior to the event with staff from the Office of Student Development and Campus Police.
    2. Assist staff from the Office of Student Development with checking I.D.’s, signing in students/guests, wrist-banding attendees.
    3. Monitor access and egress points to prevent unticketed individuals from entering the event.
    4. Monitor behavior of attendees and reporting any conduct violations or inappropriate behavior to Campus Police.
    5. Inform the DJ that the last dance must be announced no later than 15 minutes prior to the official ending time of the event.
    6. Assist staff from the Offices of Student Development and Campus Police in clearing the event venue in a timely manner.
    7. Ensure that the DJ or band providing services at the event vacate the venue within 45 minutes after the conclusion of the event.


Note: Doors will not open until all eight designated members have arrived and been briefed on their responsibilities.  Failure to meet the above responsibilities may jeopardize the ability to sponsor future dance parties.


Office of Student Development Responsibilities for Dance/Parties

  1. Assure an advisor is present to assist in managing the event.
  2. Check I.D.’s, sign in students/guests and wristband attendees prior to entry with assistance from the sponsoring organization(s).
  3. Prohibit attendees without proper I.D. from obtaining a wristband or entering the event with assistance from the sponsoring organization(s).
  4. Assist Campus Police in operating and managing the metal detector process.
  5. Be responsible for reporting any conduct violations or inappropriate behavior to Campus Police.
  6. Assist the sponsoring organization(s) and Campus Police in clearing the event venue in a timely manner.


Campus Police Responsibilities for Dance/Parties

  1. Manage the operation of the metal detector with assistance from staff from the Office of Student Development.
  2. Monitor behavior at the event.
  3. Respond to behavior in violation of the Campus Conduct Code and/or matters that present health and/or safety concerns.
  4. Assist the sponsoring organization(s) and staff from the Office of Student Development in clearing the facility in a timely manner.


Duration of Events and Ending Times

  1. Events must end no later than 1:00 a.m.  The sponsoring group will ask the DJ or band to announce a last dance/last selection no later than 15 minutes prior to the official ending time of the event.
  2. Attendees will be expected to vacate the facilities no later than 15 minutes after the official ending time of the event.
  3. DJ’s, bands and sponsoring group members working the event are expected to vacate the facility no later than 45 minutes after the official ending time of the event. 
  4. Requests to go beyond these established time frames must be submitted in writing with good cause at the time of the original request.

Note: Established time limitations take into consideration the employees who work these events, including students, professional staff and time and personnel limitations of Campus Police.


Appeals, Additions, Alterations or Exceptions to this Procedure

  1. Exceptions, deviations or new events not conforming to this procedure must be approved by the Director of Student Development in consultation with the Assistant Vice President for Engagement and Community Development and are made only at the request of the sponsoring organization or advisor.
  2. Appeals of decisions made during the planning process must be delivered to the Director of Student Development or Assistant Vice President for Engagement and Community Development two weeks prior to the event for possible changes.
  3. Any individual or organization who it is determined to willfully disregard this policy may result in conduct charges through the normal procedures of the university.
Alcohol is not permitted at any student organization sponsored event unless approved through proper administrative procedures. Requests for alcohol must be indicated on the Request for Use of Stockton University Facilities and accompanied by a letter of justification for the request. Should a request for alcohol be approved, it must be understood that alcohol and alcohol related expenses such as bar charges or bartender fees cannot be paid for with funds from the Stockton University activity fee.

Under the supervision of the Chief of Police, and in cooperation with the State Fire Marshall and Forestry Service, requests for a Fire Permit for a barbeque or campfire on campus can be submitted through an online request via the Campus Police website.  Any sponsoring organization or individual is required to apply for a Fire Permit at least one week before the scheduled event.  No accelerants (lighter fluid, propane, gasoline, etc.) may be stored in residence halls or Stockton University offices.      

*Adopted from Rutgers University

Games of chance, limited to raffles and bingo, are lawful activities in the State of New Jersey when, and only when, the sponsoring organization is registered with the state and licensed with the local township in which the drawing takes place and the prizes are awarded. The initial procedure to register a sponsoring organization and license their activity is as follows. Additional guidelines from the New Jersey Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission may apply once a sponsoring organization becomes registered.

The sponsoring organization must first submit an Initial Affidavit and Application for Biennial Registration (found at: at the bottom of the page, click Applications), along with the organization’s constitution and bylaws, to the New Jersey Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission. Political clubs and organizations are not eligible to apply for registration.

There is a fee for the registration certificate ($100, nonrefundable) and it is a biennial (2-year) registration for the requesting organizations. Checks must be made payable to the “Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission.” If approved, the registration certificate will be mailed to the requesting organization along with a copy of the legalized games of chance laws for the State of New Jersey, which usually takes up to 90 days if the application is filled out completely and satisfactory. For additional information, contact:


New Jersey Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission

P.O. Box 46000

Newark, NJ 07101

(973) 273-8000


Activities covered under this law, and therefore require a state registration include:

  •  Raffles: raising money by selling numbered tickets, one or some of which are subsequently drawn at random, the holder or holders of such tickets winning a prize
  • 50/50: a raffle lottery in which the prize is one half the value of all tickets sold during the event. A ticket stub with a serial number corresponding to a sold ticket is placed in a container for the purpose of a draw
  • Bingo: bingo itself may be played as long as there are no financial transactions taking place to play

Activities not covered under this state law, and are allowed without state registration includes:

  • Door prizes: all attendees have equal chance of winning an item based on each attendee receiving the same amount of tickets at entry
  • Silent auctions: attendees bid on an item and highest bidder purchases the item
  • Games of Skill: a competition where skill not luck determines the winner; such as athletic sports, video games, darts, pool etc 

When you buy, rent, or borrow a DVD or pay to stream a movie (or any other audiovisual work) made by someone else, you are certainly free to watch the movie yourself, but beyond that, your rights are quite limited by law. In particular you do not have the right to show the movie to “the public”. In most cases, doing that requires a separate “public performance” license from the copyright owner.

Stockton students often want to show movies or videos in classrooms and other public spaces for their clubs, organizations, or just for fun. Unless you acquire the films with public performance rights you will be breaking the copyright law. In order to be legal you have to get the film from a vendor that provides you the movie with public performance rights.

Stockton University student organizations are required to follow a number of guidelines regarding movie showings in the Campus Center and in other venues on campus.

What is a Public Performance?

Section 101 of the copyright law says that a performance is public if it is in a public place or if it is in any place if "a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its acquaintances" is gathered there. Virtually every auditorium, classroom, meeting room, and residence hall lounge on the campus is to be considered a public place, so screening a video there is considered a public performance.

The showing of a movie will be considered to be a “public performance” if either of the following is true: 

  • You will be showing the movie to people other than members of your family or a small group of your friends. 
  • You will be showing the movie in a place that is open to people other than members of your family or a small group of your friends (for example, a classroom, auditorium, or theatre, whether or not any such people attend.

Is there an applicable exception to the license requirement?

Even if your proposed showing will constitute a “public performance”, you still will not need to obtain a license if any of the following is true: 

  • You will be showing the movie in the course of “face-to-face teaching activities” that will take place in a classroom or similar place devoted to instruction (that is, not in an auditorium or other public venue, unless it is being used for, and restricted to participants in, the teaching activities), the movie performance is noted in an official course syllabus, and you have a legitimate copy of the movie (which, in general, does not include one that you have videotaped yourself from a broadcast). 
  • Your copy of the movie came with an express license authorizing the particular manner of showing. For example, some educational movies, such as those purchased directly from California Newsreel at the “institutional” price, come with licenses to show the movies for certain noncommercial institutional purposes. 
  • The movie you wish to show is in the “public domain”. Determining whether a particular movie is in the public domain can be quite difficult, and even movies that are quite old can still be protected by copyright. The Public Domain Movie Database publishes a list of movies it believes to be in the public domain, but it is neither complete nor authoritative. 

Note, however, that there is no general “educational”, “nonprofit”, or “free of charge” exception. Even a showing that is all three of those things will require a license if it constitutes a “public performance” and does not fall within one of the exceptions listed above. Thus, most showings outside of the class context will require licenses.

If you do need a “public performance” license, you can obtain on in either of the following ways:

  • By renting the movie directly from a distributor that is recognized to grant such licenses, such as Swank Motion Pictures, Inc., or Criterion Pictures rather than from a video store or streaming service. The Office of Student Development can assist student organizations in selecting and obtaining a film.
  • Owning a copy of the movie that comes with public performance rights.
  • Getting written public performance rights from the copyright holder. (We will accept a letter from the company, filmmaker, producer, or director of the film.)

 In most cases, you will be eligible for a “non-theatrical” public performance license, which is considerably cheaper than what a commercial cinema must pay. Still, the cost is likely to be at least several hundred dollars, especially for the most recent movies. That may seem unreasonable, but keep in mind that inability or unwillingness to pay is not a valid defense to a copyright infringement lawsuit.

What about Netflix and other on-demand internet streaming media services?

 According to the terms of use and privacy statements of Netflix and other on-demand internet steaming media services, any content viewed through their service is for an individual’s personal and non-commercial use only. During an individual’s Netflix membership, they grant you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, license to access the Netflix service and view movies and TV shows through the service on a streaming-only basis for that purpose. Except for the foregoing limited license, no right, title or interest shall be transferred to you.

When you agree to use a streaming service such as Netflix service including all features and functionalities associated with the service you also agree to use them in accordance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations, including public performance limitations or other restrictions on use of the service or content therein.

While most streaming services are not currently offering non-theatrical licences (Hulu, Apple TV and others, some HBO original programing is available through Swank Motion Pictures and some limited titles are available for use of "Netflix Original Documentary" content through Netflix directly. You may go here for more information on this program and here for a list of titles currently available that are available for educational screening will display either the following 'Grant of Permission' or an 'Educational Screenings Permission (ESP)' on their details page.   If any group is looking to show any types of streaming content, please see your Student Development Advisor for more information.

All flag raising ceremonies and requests for flag displays on the university official flag poles are managed by the University Flag Displays and Ceremonies available here (

Requests by student groups should follow all the policies and use the form located here (


  • Groups are allowed to display one flag on one flag pole at a time
  • Requests may be for limited time displays or permanent display
  • Limited time displays are allowed on the main flag poles and limited to flags 4 feet by 6 feet in size
  • Permanent displays are allowed on the flag poles on the outside of the circle and are limited to 3 feet by 5 feet in size
  • Permanent displays will be rotated between groups when necessary and removed if the group loses recognition status
  • All displays will be approved by the Dean of Students

Stockton University Emergency Medical Services is a student run organization that provides emergency medical care to the students, faculty, and guests of Stockton University. Stockton EMS is a 100% student group and operate as a branch of Stockton Police Department. The squad is overseen by a police department appointed program Director, Assistant Director, and advisory staff, while day-to-day operations are handled by student appointed officers. Stockton EMS can be requested by an organization to standby at a program, or may be assigned to an event by the Office of Student Development, Event Services and Campus Center Operations, or Campus Police. 

Requests for EMS services can be completed by marking off the designated area on the Request for Use of Stockton University Facilities Form.

All publicity efforts must be approved by your Student Development advisor and should clearly indicate the sponsor of the posting.

Posting Guidelines

  • Advertisement for club/organization events must be approved for posting by the Office of Student Development prior to being delivered to Event Services for posting on the gallery kiosks
  • Student Development will perform a content neutral review of all information on the posting, but any posting that would be deemed illegal or speech not protected by the first amendment will be denied.  This may include but will not be limited to true threats, inciting lawlessness, fighting words, obscenity, and libelous/defamatory content.
  • Clubs/Organizations wishing to have advertisements posted on the gallery kiosks should have 18 approved copies delivered to the Office of Event Services and Campus Center Operations located in Campus Center Suite 241. Kiosk postings will be limited to two weeks. The Office of Event Services will post the flyers. Requests should be received a minimum of one week prior to the event.
  • Clubs/Organizations wishing to have advertisements posted in the campus housing facilities should deliver 90 approved copies to the Residential Life Office located in A-100 of the Housing II Complex. Residential Life will distribute 50 copies to the Residence Halls and Townsend Residential Life Center and 40 copies to the Apartments, Lakeside Center and Housing IV and V.  Requests should be received a minimum of one week prior to the event. 
  • Clubs/Organizations wishing to have advertisements posted on the gallery walls should submit an advisor approved Request for Wall Posting form. The form, plus the approved copies, should then be delivered to the Office of Event Services. Club/Organization members are welcome to assist Event Services staff with this process.  Requests should be received a minimum of one week prior to the event.
  • Advertisements may not be placed on windows, doors, poles or any unapproved wall space.
  • Clubs/Organizations found in violation of this policy may face disciplinary action.
  • Table tent advertisements can be used on a limited basis. Clubs/Organizations wishing to place table tents in the N-Wing or Campus Center cafeterias must have approval from the Chartwells Dining Facility Manager. Once approved, the following numbers table tents should be delivered to Event Services for distribution: 50 for N-Wing Student Cafeteria; 80 for Campus Center Food Court. Table tents will be removed at the end of the day.
  •  Sponsored vendors, independent groups and clubs/organizations approved for table space in the I/J gallery may post only on the walls directly behind their assigned tables. Blue painter’s tape is the only approved method for posting materials on the walls.

Communicate your printing needs with your Student Development Advisor and provide them with the file(s) of the documents you wish to print. All publications of student organizations must clearly indicate the sponsoring organizations.

The Print Shop request form will be completed electronically by your Student Development Advisor. A Purchase Request should be submitted on OspreyHub, using your Print Shop Quote/Invoice as documentation.

When the work is completed, your order will be picked up and placed in your student organization mailbox.

The Stockton University website is an official publication of Stockton University. The websites of recognized student organizations of Stockton University may be listed as links on Stockton University’s official Web site. However, the linked pages of student organizations of Stockton University are not official publications of Stockton University and should have a statement to that affect prominently posted on their website. An organization that has a formal relationship with Stockton University  and supports the legitimate educational, administrative and mission-centered programs of the institution, such as, for example, a vendor providing contracted services on campus, may be listed as a link on an official Stockton University  website.

Off-Campus Travel

If your organization is interested in traveling off campus, speak with your Student Development advisor and pick up a Student Travel Packet from the Office of Student Development in Campus Center Suite 240. Please allow 6-8 weeks to process travel request.

Complete a Travel Request Form located on OspreyHub which requests the following:

  • Travel Proposal
  • Record and submit all travel expenses
  • Attendee Form – will contain a list of emergency contacts for each participant
  • Vehicle Reservation Form

 A completed Travel Packet must be submitted before travel requests can be processed.

  • A faculty/staff advisor is required for travel and must be in place prior to approval of the event.
  • Students who are not yet 18 years of age must have a parent/guardian sign a waiver prior to participating in activities that require a waiver.
  • Stockton vehicles are only allowed to be driven by paid Stockton University employees who must follow all university travel guidelines.
  • All drivers of 15-passenger vans will be required to take an online defensive driving course that will be arranged for them, and paid for by Risk Management and Environment/Health/Safety
  • Hotel rooms will be assigned by gender identity, unless other circumstances are requested and approved prior to the trip by the Director of Student Development.  Please work with your student development advisor in this process as early as possible to ensure all student needs are met.

The Trip Coordinator may be a club member or a faculty/staff advisor.  However, if the Trip Coordinator is a student, a faculty/staff member may also be required to attend.

  • Meet with the club/organization’s Student Development Advisor to discuss details of the trip and to determine his/her responsibilities in planning and implementing the travel plans.
  • Meet with members participating in the trip to explain details and that all persons traveling will be subject to the policies of Stockton University and are to conduct themselves in accordance with the Campus Code of Conduct.
  • Review the Off Campus Travel Emergency Guide and follow guidelines to address emergencies, including reporting processes. This guide should be kept with you during the duration of the trip.
  • Ensure that all participants have completed and signed the Waiver for Participation.
  • Ensure that all participants have signed the Travel Reimbursement Agreement (if applicable).
  • Maintain and keep a copy of the Extra Curricular Travel Form which contains a list of emergency contacts for each participant.
  • Attend the trip to coordinate trip details.
  • Retain all receipts for expenses occurred during travel and submit them to Student Development immediately upon return.
Coming Soon!