J-1 Application

In order to be considered for J-1 visa status you must be a student at one of Stockton’s international partner institutions, and will then apply for admission to Stockton University. Please refer to the following information for all required documents: (Students who do not come from one of our international partner institutions should follow directions for F-1 student admission.)  

Admission Requirements:

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System's (IELTS) scores must be submitted by students from non-English speaking countries.


Country Exemptions


All others are strongly encouraged to submit TOEFL or IELTS as well to increase their chances of admission. Those who have passed a course in regular English Composition (not English as a Second Language, not English for Foreign Students, etc.) at a US or Canadian college or university with at least a “B” are not required to submit TOEFL or IELTS.


Internet-based (79)
Computer-based (213)
Paper-based (550)
Please visit TOEFL website to register for the test

Stockton’s TOEFL Institution Code: 2889.  Use this code to send your TOEFL score directly to Stockton.


Overall band score of 6.5 or higher
Please visit IELTS website to register for the test.

This is a bank statement proving the ability to pay for the educational services rendered. The official bank statement (or letter on official letterhead) must be:

  • in the sponsor’s name (or the student’s),
  • must be in English
  • must show exact US dollar amounts (NOT statements such as “The sponsor has sufficient funds”)
  • must be less than 3 months old

Acceptable are letters from employers verifying annual income in US dollars and copies of income tax forms.
NOT ACCEPTABLE ARE: proof of property ownership, income from investments 

All students registering for classes at Stockton University must meet certain requirements regarding immunizations and health insurance.

All students born after January 1, 1957 must present proof of:

  • Measles - 2 doses (at least 30 days apart) or provide proof of immunity.
  • Mumps - 1 dose or provide proof of immunity.
  • Rubella - 1 dose or provide proof of immunity.

Measles/Mumps/Rubella vaccines must be on 1st birthday or after. We cannot accept any vaccines prior to 1st birthday.

If vaccinated before 1968, you must produce proof of immunity or be revaccinated. 

  • Hepatitis B - 3 dose series or (Adolescent 2 dose series for ages 11-15) accepted.

Students Residing on Campus need a MENINGITIS Vaccine in addition to the above requirements.

Program participants and their dependents are required to have medical insurance coverage with the following minimum benefits [22 CFR 62.14].

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
  • A policy must be underwritten by an insurance carrier with:

- an AM Best rating of "A-" or above
- an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above
- a Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above
- or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of "B+" or above

J-1 visitors and their dependents must have health insurance in effect during the period of time they are participating in Stockton's program.

Health insurance providers who specialize on international visitors insurance coverage:

Listed below are some insurance companies that provide insurance plans for international students. Please visit their Web sites or call to determine the insurance policy that would best suit your needs.

Click to View