Federal Direct PLUS Loan
Please note: To apply for the PLUS loan for the 2018-2019 academic year you must complete the application after May 1, 2018
PLUS loans are a Federal Loan program which can help pay for education expenses up to the cost of attendance minus all other financial assistance. Interest is a fixed rate. Please visit this web site for the current interest rate.
Who can apply for a PLUS loan?
- Parents of dependent students.
VERY IMPORTANT ! The parent (not the student) must provide their personal information and FSA ID(Federal Student Aid ID) as the borrower.
- Students pursuing a graduate degree
How do I apply to receive a Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan?
- Using the link above, sign in, complete and submit the online Plus Application.
- Complete and submit the Master Promissory Note
What are the eligibility requirements for PLUS Loans?
- The student must complete a FAFSA.
- Student must be enrolled at least half-time.
The Plus borrower and student must:
- be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- not be in default on a federal student loan
- not owe a refund on a federal education grant
How do I determine the amount to borrow?
Determine the amount to borrow for the academic year by accessing the : Direct Cost Calculator
If you do not indicate how much you want to borrow, your loan amount will be the maximum amount allowable by the institution. You will receive the loan amount minus an origination fee.
- The loan will be disbursed in two equal payments, half in the fall, half in the spring.
What if I am denied a Parent PLUS loan?
- If your Parent PLUS loan is denied, the student has the option to increase his/her unsubsidized loan amount or you may choose to seek a cosigner.
- A freshman or sophomore is eligible for an increased additional unsubsidized Direct loan in the amount of $4,000.
- A junior or senior is eligible for an increased additional unsubsidized Direct loan
in the amount of $5,000.
Who do I contact with questions about my Federal Direct Federal PLUS loan or deferment?
- For questions about your Federal Direct PLUS loan and deferment, contact Direct Loan